Monday, September 5, 2011

In search of TOSHITE and finding TO SHITE

Okay, the very first grammar point in the JLPT II books is misleading... It's so easy that you think that studying for the JLPT is going to be a piece of a cake. Of course, then you continue reading. Oh. Nevermind. This is going to be hard.

Well, in any case, let's talk about this wonderfully easy grammar point, toshite.

I don't really have any clever lyrics, or places I found the grammar point in pop culture, though I wish I did. Instead, I have a band name which I found while looking it up on the interwebs called Rin toshite Shigure.

They are bizarre, to be sure, but I'm quite pleased with the find. I love listening to interesting music.



Okay, so back on track. Let's talk about what toshite means.

Toshite means "as". As in "I came to America as a foreign exchange student" or "I work at the school as a librarian".

Sadly. The to shite in Rin to shite Shigure, is not the form the grammar book is talking about. Why? Well, the easy answer is that it would translate as this:

The drizzle as cold.

Yeah.... that makes no sense... Why is this? Well here is the structure of toshite:
  • Example sentence: I came to America as a foreign exchange student.
  • (Foreign exchange student) (A) toshite (I came to America)(B).
  • As A, B.
  • (Rin)(A) toshite (Shigure) (B) = As a cold, drizzle.

The better answer to why the band doesn't use the toshite we want is a bit annoying and technical, but for the sake of fellow grammar freaks, here it is: Toshite can only be used with a noun in front of it. Rin is an adjective (a na adjective in fact), so what this really is a sentence that can loosely be translated "The frigid drizzle" or something suitably less lame.

Also, a proper toshite sentence needs some sort of clause at the end of it. Not just another noun. So, the long and short of it is that I searched for grammar, but I didn't find it.

Bummer.

But, I think you folks may have figured out why I wrote this post anyway. It's to show you this awesome band, so here's another song for your enjoyment!


No comments:

Post a Comment