Friday, October 14, 2011

End of WAKE WEEK : The summary

It's the end of WAKE week. It shall no longer be wacky!

It should not surprise you that I find it incredibly difficult to write this while listening to audio plays. Nevertheless, I'm not really going to stop.

I was going to pretend they are Japanese audio dramas (which you can find a lot of, but that's really a blog for another day), but it's not true. It's totally Doctor Who. And I love the Eighth Doctor.



This totally has to do with Japan, right?

But if you don't believe that I can relate this to Japan, you are talking to the wrong million-track mind. Take a look at this image of the eighth doctor here on deviantart (if you're at all curious, you can view my artwork at mapend.deviantart.com). That is a Dollzone Yuu, which is a Chinese ball-jointed doll. There is a Japanese version of this sort of thing called the Super Dolfie. What is is a custom doll that you can change the clothes, hair, makeup, and even hands and feet on. There is a second hand market for it, though I've never actually been witness to it. I do know they are expensive though. I've been to one of the stores. I can also tell you that they do not let you take photos of anything.

I imagine if you can think of a celebrity, they have a Super Dolfie. Let's try the ones mentioned on this blog shall we?
Gackt  - yes  
Miyavi - yes (source says this is wig mod she was working on)
Sawada Kenji - no

Okay, that's where I stop. It turns out I'm wrong since I can't find a Moriyama Mirai one, or anyone else that isn't visual kei for that matter. So I should say, as long as it's a visual kei artist, I'm sure you can find a Super Dolfie of it. This is not surprising though. You usually find Super Dolfies in Visual Kei districts of cities. The ones I've been to are usually mixed in with the VK fashion stores of a shopping building.

You didn't think I could do it, did you? You didn't think I could twist British culture into something Japanese. Of course, why I'm talking about them at all doesn't really matter except that I'm listening to Doctor Who radio dramas while I write this. They certainly have nothing to do with this grammar point.

What I actually should be talking about it WAKE, WAKE DEHA NAI,  WAKE GA NAI, WAKE NI HA IKANAI. Why? Because they all have WAKE in them, and they are easily confused. I've have done a post for each one and are linked accordingly.

What I want to do here is  just go over the four of them together, just to really solidify how you use each one. After all, if you're anything like me, you had to do something like this:



Or not.

Anyway, the first thing is that the kanji for WAKE is 訳, which is one of many Japanese words that mean "reason". At least, that's what my dictionary tells me. Jim Breen goes a bit further, and says that its "conclusion brought on by a specific reasoning", which as complicated as it is, is actually more pertinent. Therefore, it's pretty important that you keep that in mind when you try to separate out these three grammar forms.


  • WAKEDA
    • as you know; the fact is that; the truth of the mater is that~.
      • Very similar to のだ。
  • WAKE DEHA NAI
    • It doesn't meant that~; I don't mean that~; It's not that~; It's not the case that~.
      • used most often with というわけ
  • WAKE GA NAI
    • There is no reason why~; It is impossible for it to~; cannot;
      • Very similiar to はぜがない
  • WAKE NIHA IKANAI 
    • cannot; cannot but; cannot help~ing; haven o (other choice) but to~.
Obviously that is it in a nutshell, but let's discuss ways to remember, shall we?

  • WAKEDA
    • DA/DESU is an expression that is closest to "to be" there for it is saying it as a simple fact. 
    • WAKE DA = It is this conclusion that I have reasoned.
  • WAKE DEHA NAI
    • DEHA NAI  means that is doesn't exist. Naturally, it is the opposite. Here, you are saying that there isn't a good reason for someone to think something.
    • WAKE DEHA NAI = That is a crappy conclusion you've come up with. Well, okay, it's probably a bit nicer than that.
  • WAKE GA NAI
    • GA NAI  means that there is no reasoning or conclusion. It's very similar to the one above, but I think it's best to tackle this using my arch nemesis, Literal Japanese. The first one uses DE HA NAI, which essentially means that it doesn't exist. GA NAI is the informal way of saying ARU, which means that you don't have it. Well, not necessarily you, but you get the picture. 
      • I honestly think that subtle different is that the first one sort of implies someone is being foolish, such as saying such a reason DOES NOT exist, whereas the second one is more or less saying that the subject in question alone doesn't have the correct reasoning. 
  • WAKE GA IKANAI
    • IKANAI is "won't go", so it's basically saying that the certain reasoning won't fly. 
      • This is strongly influenced by how you use negative and affirmative statements.
      • It more are reflects a statement of being able to do something. Like: Because I have to drive, there's no reason for me to drink.

Well, I hope this, in tandem with the other four posts I've dedicated to the word have helped a little. If not, ask away! I will endeavor to be clearer!

No comments:

Post a Comment