Saturday, October 8, 2011

In search of TATOTAN (NI)

Just so you folks know... this will not be the last time I talk about Takarazuka. There is so much to get into with that group, and I have a lot of material dealing with this cultural phenomena, so it's likely we'll be returning to it a few times.

But first, what is Takarazuka? Well, technically it's a town on the south side of Hyogo, and is about thirty minutes from Osaka by train on the Hankyu Line. It's a very pleasant, and quiet town that sort of acts as a suburban commuter city that has really beautiful walking trails. I think that if I could, I'd probably choose to live in that area in the future. It's a bit like fairyland. I love it, but that could be because it's largely empty during the day.

Really, when you mention Takarazuka, people automatically think of the theatre groupe, Takarazuka Revue, which is an all female musical theatre troupe. I'd like to go into more detail, but since this is the first of many posts, I'll save that for a bit later.

This is one of their most famous shows, The Rose of Versailles.

Today though, I want to talk about the fans, who are known for being particularly rabid and protective. There are fanclubs for the actresses, and they have very strict rules of how one is to address the objects of affection, if at all. Nothing Takarazuka related should be posted on the web unless it's a poster, and all images should be a small size so no one can redistribute. If you buy a GRAPH (a Takarazuka photobook), you better not share them with the internet or you will quickly find herself being trolled twenty-four seven. This includes posting things from the special Takarazuka cable channel on to the web.

The reason I bring up the fans is because the grammar point I wish to address is on a fan's blog.

  • GRAPHを、てゆーか出版物をひろげたとたん大声を上げてしまったのは、生まれて初めてかもしれません.
  • GRAPH wo, te yuuka shuppanbutsu wo hirogeta totan oki oogoe wo agede shimatta no ha, umarete hajimeta kamoshiremasen.


So, the TOTAN in TATOTAN  means "just at this moment", and it uses this kanji: 途端. The definition the dictionary gives me is "after doing something this immediately happens". Thus, I can surmise that something just barely finishes happening before something else happens. That, of course is exactly what happens.

The TA in TATOTAN is merely to indicate to you that the phrase can ONLY be used with a TA form (informal past tense) of a verb. You'll also notice that I placed NI in parenthesis. This is because, should you need to use it in an adjectival way, you need to add NI.

So then, what is this about? Here are some possible translations:

  • The second I opened the GRAPH book, I let out such a loud yell that it must have seemed like I had just been born.
  • I had just scarcely opened the GRAPH book before I let out such a loud yell that it must have seemed like I had just been born.

Easy, right?

I should mention that GRAPH is the name of the photobooks for each actress (please keep in mind that say actress because the term in Japanese is gender neutral, and gives me no indication of how I should refer to the male parts in English). In fact, I own one for Sei Motabu, which is weird because I've actually seen Yamato Yuuga the most, and Sena Jun is my favorite. Of course, now that Hiromu Kirya and Otozuki Kei are top stars now, they are winning my heart!

This is mine. I have translated some interviews in the book, if anyone is interested.

I'm didn't really read very far into this post except I did see that she wondered if "she had died" when she saw it, such was her elation. I think it's because the cover of this particular has two very big otokoyaku (boy parts). I'm not sure though who they are. I'm pretty bad at my names and faces when it comes to Takurazuka.

No comments:

Post a Comment